The Corrosion Awareness - Conventional Ultrasonic Inspection course is aimed at:
- Level 2 Ultrasonic Inspectors, previous knowledge of plant inspection would be an advantage, but not essential
- Candidates wishing to have greater understanding of corrosion and its detrimental effect on materials
- Candidates who interface with the NDT inspectors and wish to gain a greater understanding of corrosion detection with ultrasonic inspection; its capability and limitations
Properties of materials; theory of corrosion; types of corrosion; preventative measures (likely locations, inspection and monitoring techniques, variables affecting corrosion); corrosion monitoring; structural damage mechanisms; degradation of materials in-service conditions; types of failure; basic electrical theory associated with corrosion; inspection techniques, application of conventional ultrasonic methods.
- To gain corrosion specific certification in ultrasonic inspection using conventional methods
- To better understand the principles of corrosion and material degradation
- To be able to recognise the need for corrosion investigation
- To be able to apply practical methods for testing and monitoring of corrosion
- To appreciate the difficulties associated with corrosion inspection and control
- To interpret the requirements of appropriate standards
- To pass the CSWIP corrosion awareness examination
Candidates wishing to gain certification must hold ISO 9712 Level 2 Ultrasonic Testing approval.