The Associate Certificate is designed to raise the professional competence of environmental practitioners by developing and assessing their knowledge, understanding and application of environmental management and assessment.
Main natural cycles, ecological systems, environmental sustainability; principles of environmental policy, policy instruments and environmental policies; types of law, environmental legislation, penalties and environmental regulators; collection, analysis and reporting on environmental information and data; environmental management and assessment tools; analysis of problems and opportunities to deliver sustainable solutions; development and implementation of programmes for environmental performance improvement; environmental communications; how to influence behaviour and implement change to improve sustainability.
- To understand environmental and sustainability principles
- To understand environmental policy issues
- To understand key environmental legislation and compliance measures
- To understand environmental management and sustainable development in a business context
- To be able to collect, analyse and report on environmental information and data
- To be able to apply environmental and management tools
- To be able to analyse problems and opportunities to deliver sustainable solutions
- To be able to develop and implement programmes to deliver environmental performance improvement
- To be able to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- To be able to influence behaviour and implement change to improve sustainability
The assessment is a 2.5 hour written examination (either paper-based or online). Successful completion of the certificate results in the award of IEMA Associate Membership, which is the essential professional qualification for working in an environmental role.
There are no formal entry requirements for the Associate Entry Examination but candidates should have a level of literacy and numeracy adequate to cope with the examination.
IEMA Diploma in Sustainable Business Practice