Individuals with ultrasonic testing experience, who are looking to expand their knowledge into advanced ultrasonic applications and gain a qualification in Time of Flight Diffraction (ToFD).
ToFD theory and principles of diffraction, ToFD hardware (pulsers, receivers, motor control, encoders), ToFD data acquisition and interpretation, ToFD techniques, ToFD applications, equipment selection, calibration and optimisation, optimising PCS and angles, flaw location and sizing, limitations of detection and resolution, codes and standards, reporting.
The course ends with the certification examination.
Training in accordance with the requirements of ISO 9712.
- To understand the theoretical background and limitations of ToFD applications
- To correctly select probe/wedge to examine welded butt joints
- To calibrate and set up the ToFD ultrasonic equipment
- To locate and evaluate flaws in the weld body and HAZ
- To differentiate defects from geometric features
- To analyse scan data for location and size of defects in typical welded butt joints
- To understand and apply digital processing processes (SAFT, linearization, averaging, filters etc)
- To compile written instructions
- To meet the CSWIP and PCN syllabus requirements
All candidates attending a PCN examination (initial, retest or renewal) must provide photo ID (e.g Driving licence number, Passport number, PCN ID Card) on the day of sitting the examination.
Failure to do so will result in the candidate being turned away.
PCN candidates must be qualified to a minimum of BS EN ISO 9712 Level 2 Ultrasonic Testing.
CSWIP certification is available for candidates holding ASNT UT Welds. It will be considered on an individual basis and evidence of training and experience presented to the training centre on application. Additionally, holders of ASNT UT Welds qualification will be required to sit the CSWIP UT Welds Level 2 General Paper.
The minimum required duration of training, which includes both theoretical and practical elements, is:
- Level 1 - 40 hours
- Level 2 - 40 hours (Direct Level 2 - 80 hours)
The minimum duration for experience prior to or following success in the qualification examination is:
- Level 1 - 1 month
- Level 2 - 3 months (Direct Level 2 - 4 months)