Inspection and maintenance of wind farm installations
There have been a lot of developments around renewable energy of late and a lot
of speculation with regard to the number of wind farm installations that are being
built around the European coast.
What about after installation? Has there been any thought about the inspection and
maintenance of these fixed structures?
In some European countries, legislation states that any fixed installation requires
to be inspected on an annual basis.
The CSWIP 3.3U - Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) Inspector course is the
perfect first point of call as it covers remote inspection. A small ROV can conduct
a general video survey of the entire submerged structure including scour survey,
cathodic protection and thickness readings if required.
Also, a Diver Tender course would be of great benefit. The inshore diving regulations
require a minimum three-man dive team comprising a supervisor, a diver and a stand-by
diver. The remaining members of the team are not required to be qualified commercial
divers however, the inshore regulations state that the diving contractor must be
satisfied that the Diver Tenders are competent.
TWI offers such training based around the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 Approved
Code of Practice. The first course took place in February in Middlesbrough, UK and
the attendees' feedback was excellent. The training covers:
- Basic explanation of health and safety legislation
- Scope and areas covered by the code
- Explaining definitions within the regulations
- Explanation of roles and responsibilities within the Dive Team focusing on the role
of a Diver Tender
- General diving methods and equipment
- Description of functions of various plant and equipment relating to a dive site
- Glossary of terms and comprehensive check list
- Safety considerations working with or in the vicinity of various hazards
- Description of various diving dress and their functions used within the industry
- Instruction on the various diving hats and locking systems used within the industry
- Practical application which would involve dressing commercial divers under supervision
at our underwater facility in Middlesbrough, UK.
For further information, please contact Dave McIver on: +44 (0) 1642 216320 or email: